Monday, December 13, 2004

Well, my prodigal son returned home last night. Ben's intent is to move in with some friends in the upcoming weeks, so he's been spending time with them at their place to get to know them, make certain he fits in, get used to living away from home, etc.

It's hard for me - I really am Mr. Homebody, and love just hanging out at home with the kids. So having them begin the process of living on their own is tough for me. I am beginning to get a bit teary just typing this. Anyways, I know its for the best ... just doesn't mean I have to like it.

This weekend, Laura, my daughter, was so sweet. She took me out to lunch on Saturday. We stopped by an Ethiopean restaurant and had some great food. She wanted to bring home leftovers for the current beau to try out - so I gave up 1/2 my lunch to the cause. Didn't really matter - the lunch portions were so large I was pretty full.

Then, when we got home, she was getting ready for work and I found out we were invited to a little Christmas party.
It looks like it will be the only one to which we are invited, so I said "sure, let's go". We had so much fun hanging out with Mike and Amy Rodgers - they work with the youth at church and are such a fun couple. A few others - most of the Oates family, some of the Ruarks, and Sara Hunter and her friend Tyler, were also there.

Sunday, I found out that, once again, I was being asked to step and and run the powerpoint for the service. So I did it, and things went okay. Sunday School was a bit intense - the topic was supposed to be about forgiving, but the group was pretty interactive and we went in a variety of other directions. When I mentioned the tough time I was having with the kids planning on moving out, apparently I touched a nerve, because two friends came up afterwards and said how they too were either currently, or had in the past, had similar experiences.

For lunch, I made oriental sloppy joes (ground beef, onion, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, beef boulion simmered until the broth was incorporated into the meat).
Laura invited a friend over and they hung out... well, Laura was on the phone off and on through the afternoon, but hung out when she wasn't distracted.

We sat and watched tv after church and then I catnapped until Ben came home (around 2am) after work. We caught up for an hour or so and then off to bed to catch a few winks before work.

Only a few more days and Ben and his mom take off to Florida for a vacation with Hurricane Sara (inside joke).

No comments: